Answer: BDL is the laboratory recently used by your physician who removed a sample of tissue (biopsy) or a lesion (excision) for pathology examination as part of your care. The bill you received is a separate bill for the technical and professional components of that testing performed in our lab. We invite you to view the journey that your biopsy takes through our laboratory process.
Answer: We understand that medical insurance coverage issues can be very complicated. Please give us a call at (301) 439-4303 or toll-free (800) 967-8965, and one of our billing specialists will be glad to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have.
Answer: BDL’s customer service team is available to assist you, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm EST.
Answer: BDL takes personal checks, credit card payments or money orders as indicated below:
Payments by mail:
There is a pink envelope enclosed with your statement or letter, which can be used to send any payment or additional information. Please address any checks or money orders to BDL and include your account number in the memo section of your check or money order. This will ensure that the payment is posted to the correct account. (Mail payments to: Bethesda Dermatopathology Laboratory (BDL), 1730 Elton Road, Suite 11, Silver Spring, MD 20903)
Payment by phone:
You can call our customer service team at 301-439-4303 to discuss your bill and make a credit card payment over the phone. Your payment will be processed and applied to your account in 24-48 hours.
Payment on the website:
You can make a payment directly through our website, at www.bdlab.com , select “pay your bill.” Online payments are secured and processed through Authorize.net. Payments will be processed and applied to your account in 24-48 hours.
Answer: Since BDL does not keep a file for individual patients, each specimen is treated as a new bill. If you receive a statement that shows no response from your insurance company, please complete the back portion of the statement with your complete insurance information and return it via mail or fax at 301-439-4340.
Answer: According to your insurance carrier, the insurance information we have been provided does not match their database. You can correct this problem by:
(1) Mailing or faxing us the front and back of your insurance card and the front of your statement; or
(2) Completing the insurance information sections on the back of your statement and mailing or faxing both the front and back of the statement to this office.
Answer: BDL will bill any other insurance coverage you have. If you receive a bill and it shows no response from your secondary insurance, please fill out the back part of your billing statement under “Secondary Insurance Co.” and return it to us via mail or fax.
Answer: The deductible is an amount that your insurance plan requires you to pay out of pocket each year before they will begin to cover any of your medical expenses. If you have any questions about your deductible, please contact your insurance company directly.
Answer: Co-insurance is an amount that your insurance company says you are responsible to pay “out-of-pocket.” For example, some insurance companies will pay an 80% rate for any in-network medical services but the remaining 20% is the patient’s responsibility to pay to the provider of services.
Answer: Co-payments typically cover physician office visits only. Any patient responsibility, typically deductible and/or coinsurance, based on your agreement with your health plan, is billed to you once your insurance has processed your claim. This will reflect on your bill as well as your Explanation of Benefits (EOB) from your insurance.
Answer: BDL has various payment arrangements, such as discounts and payment plan options available for patients experiencing financial hardship. BDL honors any direct letter from County or State explaining the reason for the hardship.
Answer: BDL has various payment arrangements available for patients with no insurance, or whose insurance may not cover the tests performed. For more information, please call our customer service department at 301-439-4303 from 8 am to 4 pm (Monday to Friday) to speak with any of our billing specialists.
Answer: Refunds made to your attention may result from the following areas:
(2) Duplicate payment received, or
(3) Additional payment made by your insurance company.
If you are due a refund for any of the reasons mentioned above, BDL will issue a refund by mailing a check to your address or by crediting the refund to the original credit card used to make the initial payment.